Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory
More about historical information about observations can be found in Data Archive > Availability
- A permanent research station was operated at Sodankylä during the 1st International Polar Year in 1882-1884.
- Finnish Academy of Science and Letters established the observatory in 1913.
- Earth´s magnetic field is measured here since 1914.
- Seismic measurements started at SGO in 1956.
- The Ionospheric station started operations in August 1957.
- In 1971, the Technical Division began their work at SGO.
- The Astronomy Division was doing polar motion observations using a zenith telescope on routine base between 1973 and 1981.
- In 1975, the European Incoherent Scatter Scientific Association (EISCAT) was established, and work at SGO started in 1977.
- In 1978, the EISCAT receiver radar was built at SGO, and the measurements started in 1981.
- In August 1997 the Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory joined the University of Oulu.
- The observatory of the University of Oulu ( (cosmic rays, seismic network and induction coils) operated by Department of Physical Sciences joined SGO in January 1998.
Last modified: 28 August 2015, 08:28:57.